Search This Blog

Thursday, January 6, 2011

My Own Mountain to Climb

The heights, the time to get there and what lies beyond the mountain do not matter. It is the journey that matters.










I could relate to every word in this song, The Climb sung by Miley Cyrus.



For 6 months since my career break, I have been contemplating. Am I ever gonna be back to my professional career? Or will I take another path? Another mountain?

I have been busy doing on-line jobs which I find really amusing. I was doing creative writing most of the time. I felt so proud when an Australian client hired me to write creative sentences for him. He gave me a test and this is what he said:






After the project, I was glad that he rated my performance very well. After this stint, I tried doing text messaging services for a company that answers all questions you can ever think of through mobile messaging services or texting. It was a company that render this kind of service to US, Canada and UK. I had poured out all the creativity in me just to provide smart and informative replies to questions in just 112 characters. Unfortunately, I did not get certified to continue with the project but it was a swell time learning about US and UK geography and culture as part of the orientation. ( For my 38 years in existence I have never known that the UK is composed of 4 countries and England alone is not UK at all. If you ever put it that way, it would be an insult to any Englishman. )

And so I thought writing was the mountain for me to climb. It is really my passion. I got creative, inspired and somehow moved my readers with my words. It was good but the revenue I got from writing is just a quarter lower compared to my salaried professional post before. It was really great working from the very confines of my own home; without the hassles and bustles of traffic and office environment. It was like living the good life until I noticed my personal accounts. My usual expenses were exceeding my revenue. So I took measures to cut off our expenses although I still have enough of my "emergency fund" to support the whole career break of 6 to 7 months. ( As promised, I will discuss more about how to build your own personal funds in the next blog posts. I won't forget that! ) However, if I would continue with this stream of revenue, my other funds would be used and I would be in trouble.

So when my doctor gave me the "green light" to work again, I started sending my applications to companies which I knew would fit my objective: near my home, manufacturing industry, job and culture fitness. I had no luck for several months but my faith didn't wavered. Waiting on God's time is never a wasted time. It was a declaration of my faith ever since.

And so, I saw the peak of my mountain. An opportunity. Exactly as what I needed. Fitted the job objectives I have mentioned above like a glove. So I will start working as a professional accountant again in a potential "dream" company by next week.

New staff, new colleagues, new bosses, new environment but definitely familiar since I have been in the manufacturing industry for most of my career life. Definitely another peak to climb.

However, the journey I took during my career break was definitely worth the climb.