Search This Blog

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Why You Should Give Up to Succeed

In my last blog, I said if all doors are closed, perhaps windows will do. And if there are windows, there could be another door or more doors. Or another entire house.



I became successful in my school life because I was never a quitter. My motto is to "try and try until you succeed". I graduated with flying colors from kindergarten up to my MBA. When I started working, I realized that I was in a different jungle. The office is not a school where classmates compete for good grades. The office jungle is much more complicated. But with my motto carved in my head, I also went through my work life with flying colors.


I never surrendered in all the battles I faced at work. Be it a rush report, delayed process due to system troubles, sudden illness of my key staff, unreconciled account balances, audit findings, presentation slides for my boss or difficult-to-deal with co-workers and department heads. I have learned how to cope up in many ways. And many times, I was rewarded with free trainings, bonuses, pay raises and promotions. Hardships were there, but it made me a better employee and had a better position title.

But like Spiderman's "with great power comes great responsibility", I tried my best to meet every one's expectations of me. I had to be worthy of the title, which is just the right thing to do.

One day, it was 4:00am, I was already at home but still doing office work. I even set up a mini-office in the house. Like in my school days, I have home works or assignments to make sure lessons for the day sink in the brain, but this time home work means "continue to work at home". And it was not the first time, it was the nth time.

Something was extremely wrong. I was running a department, with my own office, a number of supervisors, good staff, good pay, best benefits with company vehicle but I had a lot of tension, stressful environment, no time for myself and with my spouse. No life.

Perhaps a process was broken in the entire chain of the office work that was causing a lot of stress to people. But I needed sleep, some peace and quiet. I would close my eyes and called to God. It worked all the time, but the new issues and pressures come up, they never end.

Again, I closed by eyes and called to God.

My time belongs to the employer, they pay me for every inch of muscle I move, for every brain wave I generate. I maybe an officer, but still an employee.

I opened my eyes.

And then I quit.

Many told me I was crazy for quitting the lucrative job. But I was ready. Perhaps I was unconsciously preparing for it in the past 16 years. I have my expense and emergency savings to support me. I  have my investments earning for me. I have 5 great companies which I don't have to be an employee to earn, that is, by being one of their stockholders. One great thing is:  I was and will be able to attend seminar/ workshops I have been aspiring to attend ( internet marketing, creative writing, basic fine arts, real estate investment ). But my business skills in accountancy still plays a big part. I have entered into work-at-home jobs by being a service contractor on my own which pays quite well. The advantage:  time phasing is my own at the very confines of my home.


Quitting or giving up is not entirely bad. If it is to surrender to God, that's when we usually see the road He wants us to take.When you give up, great options arrive and with it, a lot of wisdom*.

These great options are the windows. In fact, everything is a window. It is seeing the Lord's work in every circumstance we are in. And when you peered through it, you will know when to open a new door and close the other. You will know when to quit, how to quit, where to quit and what to quit.**





P.S. Don't you know that you have to quit often to succeed in life? Read more on this in Chapter Three from Bo Sanchez's best-selling book "How To Turn Thoughts into Things". Now available in all major bookstores.






Inspired by/ Source
*Didache post by Ariel Driz
** How to Turn Thoughts into Things by Bo Sanchez